Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicago Marathon Registration Opens in T-Minus 39 hours

So here it is....I have decided to commit to train for a full on marathon....I have "yet" to race a half 13.1 marathon, but the full 26.2 Marathon...holy cow, what am I getting myself into?!  $150 registration....ouch!  But I have to sign up February 1st, because the 45,000 runners fill up QUICK!

In an effort to put one foot in front of the other....and get that part of my bucket list marked off, I decided to train and run my very first 5k, this time last year.  Mind you, I could not run 10 feet without staring at death and wishing someone could conveniently hand me over a handy oxygen tank.  I panted heavier than a dog in August.

Mind you my running did not start simply with my bucket list because I can honestly say this has been one of my New Year's resolutions for the past 7 years.  No it became an all or nothing when I went to a 2011 New Year's Eve party and a few other moms were talking about doing the Iron Girl and about wanting to train for it as their resolutions.  They created a team with all the women there, but they omitted me.  Totally.  Hmmmmmmm ... now THAT is motivation.

So in my depressed mood after the party, first thing I do is check in with Facebook, look at all the fabulous reels everyone is posting and I wallow until I see an ad for a running coach pop up on the sidebar...."Come and talk to me about Beginning Running." Hmmmm, what is this...?

A sign?  Perhaps.....

Usually I do not pay attention to the Facebook side bar of advertisements, but this one caught my eye! So I sent an email....as I typed away at my story and how I am going to be the biggest hurdle she has ever trained, I re-read and thought, "Dang, you are pitiful, girl!" I hit send, and lo and behold, I get an email, one day later.   The best encouraging email I have ever gotten...."Yes, you can be a runner and I will show you how!"  Oh Debbie Voiles from Run Tampa, I am always going to be indebted to you!

So after months of training, and yes it took like two months before I even ran a full mile without stopping, I did not run the Iron Girl. I did end up running my first 5k last May, Miles For Moffitt.  I cried, yep, I did, as I went past the finish.  What an accomplishment! Running a 5k? Check? No...oh no...I wiped my tears and thought...waaaait a minute....what was my time?  35:24?  Oh no, no, no I need to do better (my uber competitive side kicks in!).  So let's see...in a year's time I have managed to run the following races:

1) Miles for Moffitt 5k, May 2011
2) Tampa Police Memorial 5k, Oct 2011
3) Richards' Run for Life 5k, Nov 2011
4) Clearwater Turkey Trot 5k, Nov 2011
5) Race for Cure, 5k Dec 2011
6) St. Pete Beach Classic, 10k, Jan 2012

Not bad! So getting a little cocky, I signed up for the St. Pete Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon coming in two weeks....! My very first 1/2 marathon, February 12th O. EM. GEE.  Yes, I will cry going over the finish with this one!  Oh and get this, I am also signed up three weeks later for the Gasparilla 1/2.  So I have made HUGE strides in this running thing.....so freaking overpowering to be done and get done.  I do my best thinking.....I own this....I BETTER NOT GET HURT.....

So I am thinking, I may need sponsors to keep this race habit up.  I am now going to sign up for the Chicago Marathon....I am crazy....but it is ON MY BIRTHDAY......how can I ever turn it down?  Now that is my new entry to my bucket list, Chicago on my 39th birthday, and NYC marathon on my 40th.

It is a sign.

2 comments:

  1. Johanne- I've been where you've been. Racing becomes an amazing addiction and you'll love every moment of this journey. There will be the moments of success and the moments of hurt. The nights you want to submerge your whole body in ice and mornings of amazing success. I love your style of writing and the topic will keep me coming back to check up on your progress. You got a virtual cheerleader via runner alliance :)-Summerly from Blogging Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Summerly for your nice comments! I am certainly trying to get a habit going on this blogging thing! Yes check on my progress and make sure I am not that runner that dropped dead at the finish...(**nervously LOL-ing**) I am completely addicted to running now....but it took some time. Oooh yes it did. My coach kept saying "once you get your rhythm, it will come naturally to you and you will have many races under your belt!" I looked at her as if she had grown an extra head....like "Me?! Nah uh, nope she is thinking of someone else, I am thinking....just need to get through my first 5k and I am signing out.....!" Well all those races later and two halfs coming up, and a full one in a few months..yeah...I caught the bug! Let me know if you ever want to run!

    ReplyDelete