Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Run Like a Kenyan....Me? Bwaaahaahaa!



The 2012 Boston Marathon, one of the most elite marathons in this country, was held this past weekend.  Of course, because I run, I now get why bumper stickers exist that read:
"Run Like a Kenyan."


Because the winners were that, Kenyan. 

The Top Three Males and the Top Three Females - were, you guessed it, Kenyan - long and lean running machines.

I do not EVEN want to go into their numbers.  Let alone that this year's, 2012 Boston Marathon, on its 116th year, had unusually high record temperatures.  It was 86 degrees on the hot asphalt and the medics were on full alert for heart attacks and heatstrokes.  The runner Wesley Korir came in after a FULL 26.2 miles, at 2 hours and 12 minutes....!!! Wha, what?!!! Yup, 2:12 and change. Oh and he was "slowed down by the heat." (Remind me to use that excuse!) The last time an American won the Boston Marathon was in 1983 and his name was Greg Meyer in case you get on a trivia game show, that tidbit might come in handy.

DUDE, that is seven minutes lower than my 2:19 time for the Gasparilla and Rock N' Roll HALF (13.1) marathons!!

<-----Do I look Kenyan?
No? I do not? Wheeeeew!  
Let me pull up a chair and enjoy some taffy as the pressure is OFF!  

All I know FOR SURE is that I will never, EVER see the finish line tape at Boston, New York or Chicago....so I will not lose sleep over that; that I can push myself a little bit harder to make my time of 2:05 for the Iron Girl HALF marathon this coming Sunday; and that Kenyans are fast, really, really fast, period.  Do not try, it is not in your genes (nothing short of a miracle, a wayward relative in my family tree that may have traveled to Kenya, or the help from the bionic factory that made Jaime Sommers into the Million Dollar Woman - in 1970s dollars).

This year's Boston Marathon inspired me but also makes me so antsy and anxious for the 2012 Bank of America Chicago Marathon - my first marathon, ever.  Wow, cannot believe I am actually signed up for it.  Let's hope all my planning and training in the next few months will fall into place and I get to finish in the nice and impressive non-Kenyan time of 4:15.  I would be so darn proud of that.  Honestly, I would.

I will hold on to that medal...and decide if it was worth it and whether I want to go through all that trouble next year when I decide to do The 2013 ING New York Marathon for my 40th.

The point is....  
if I look this HAPPY------------> after finishing my first FULL marathon, the answer will be a resounding YES!!! Let's go to NYC!



So if you are bored on Sunday, and wish to see a bunch of women running, as if their lives depended on it, come on down to beautiful Clearwater Beach.  Look for me, Bib # 1301....and chant "2:05! 2:05!"  

Since this race is going over several bridges, (Sand Key and Memorial Causeway), look for a group of women wearing turquoise colored dri-fit shirts with the words: "Bring it, Bridges!" and Run Tampa on it.  I will be one of them. 

Come and chant.  Please.

I may need the motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment