Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Running More Than Just Errands


Running around doing errands......
    Running around like a chicken with its head cut-off.....

Not exactly the "running" quotes I had in mind, so I did a little research to find some inspirational quotes to help me get by since I will be running the IRON GIRL (grrr) in two weeks.....

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack or last.  You can say, 'I have finished.'  There is a a lot of satisfaction in that." -Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-Founder.

So my training has been slooooow-mo, but I have to keep reminding myself, that I am a soooo much better than I was at this point last year when it took me two long months to run a full mile without wanting to stop and walk (and whine).

The psyching yourself up to begin the run is the hardest.  When I started on Monday after my glutton-infested week(s), I posted on Facebook that I WAS GOING TO RUN 6 miles today.  I got dressed in my new (and seriously cute) Nike running pants and shirt, laced up my sneakers, and decided, today IS the day I get back to my running form again.  So I opened the front door, and was shocked at how nippy it was at 5:45 a.m. and, oh boy, how dark it still is.  Oooh it took every bit of my will power to NOT go back in the house and enjoy a fresh cup of hot coffee and watch the early news curled up with Simon the foster kitty (which FYI- looks like he might be a permanent addition and boy he looooves to cuddle - such an aggressive beast-not!).

But oh no, I cannot stop nor waiver!!! I have already publicly posted my goal run that morning on Facebook....and I was not about to lie - it was hard 'cause now I owned it. I already had friends posting "go guuurrrl.."  "Yay good for you!  You got this!!" and "Jo is back - Look out Iron Girl!"

I started slowly and kept convincing myself, internally, that really, 3-4 miles will be just as good and quite adequate, especially since I am just coming back.

Then something miraculous happened, I
"Forrest Gump'ed" it.
Yes, I just kept on going and going.  It just got easier with every step after mile 2.  I got my breathing and running matching a close pattern.

I. FELT. GOOD.



"Remember the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running." - Sarah Condor
Image Detail
Clearwater Beach, Sunday April 22, 2012
It's official!  I just got my Bib Number for the Iron Girl (grrr) 
I am runner 1301!

So here it is......two weeks, baybeee!  My third 1/2 marathon in three months. WOW! Who knew I had it in me?

[Image]
Last year's 2011 Iron Girl Half Marathon 
(courtesy of the  TBNweekly.com)
I came back strong and finished my Monday run, 6.55 miles in 57 minutes.  Yep, I AM A BAD-ASS!  Follow up Facebook postings (of course after posting that yes, it got conquered): "Girl you are a speed demon."  "Now that's what I am talking about!" Awesome job!"  Aaaah the joys of admiration from my fellow runners! It honestly helps in keeping me going - just knowing how many people are on my team!  Love my Run Tampa Peeps!

"Don't bother just to be better than your predecessors.  Try to be better than yourself." -William Faulkner

(This quote is so personal to me as I need to beat my last PR of 2:19 for my last 1/2 marathon, Gasparilla.)

My new goal is 2:05 and yes I am making it publicly known, so I cannot back down now.   And lastly, I will leave you with my final quotes:

"It's supposed to be hard.  If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.  The hard....is what makes it great!" -Tom Hanks in "A League of Their Own"

"Running should be a lifelong activity.  Approach it patiently and intelligently, and it will reward you for a long, long time." 
- Michael Sargent

I hope to run until I can't no more!





No comments:

Post a Comment